Here are some of the helps I published for those struggling with Suicide from the Student Ministry Blog published at wccocstudentsonline.blogspot.com
SUICIDE IN AMERICA
I don’t think there is anything in this life more heartbreaking than suicide. It affects much more than the one life lost. The family, friends, acquaintances, community and generations to come are affected by the choice to die of one solitary person. Many of us may have at least thought of it personally at some low point in our life. Even though they didn’t attempt suicide the spiritual giants of the Bible Elijah and Job begged God for death in their darkest hours. So what about today? How real is the threat of suicide in America and our teens today?
FACTS ABOUT SUICIDE IN THE USA
- 500,000 Americans attempt but survive suicide attempts per year.
- More than 30,000 reported annually (83 per day, 1 every 17 minutes)*
- Suicide is the 8th leading cause of death; But 3rd among Youth (15-24).
- In recent survey 60% of teens thought about it, and 9% had tried at least once.
- Persons under 25 accounted for 15% of all suicides in 2000. (From the 1950’s to the late 70’s the suicide rate increased by 200%.)
- Psychological autopsy studies show that more than 90% of completed suicides had one or more mental disorders.- More people die from suicide than from homicide.
- 4 males commit suicide to every 1 female suicide even though females have more recorded attempts…(Why? Women use less lethal means.)
- Most attempts are from women in their 20’s and 30’s.
- Suicide rates are highest among the divorced, separated, and widowed and lowest among the married.
- 4,135 youth commit suicide every yearI hope you can begin to see the seriouosness of the suicide in America.
Look for posts to follow with more info and helps for suicide later on.